Music is central to traditional Irish culture, and a trip to Ireland wouldn’t be the same without a healthy dose of live music to brighten up your travels. Here, we’ve shared a selection of our favourite music sessions so that you know where to find the best entertainment in the area. Let us know if you enjoy these sessions or have any others to recommend!
You don’t have to travel far for great music in County Clare, and our accommodation offers great entertainment without even having to leave the hotel. The Hydro Hotel, Lisdoonvarna offers excellent live music every night, and The Imperial Hotel, Lisdoonvarna, home to the famous Matchmaker Bar, hosts an exciting variety of acts most nights, including some big names at weekends and especially during the Matchmaker Festival in September.
Our Top Five: Music Sessions In Doolin And Lisdoonvarna
If you want to experience Irish culture at it’s finest, don’t miss:
- Super Sunday at Gus O’Connor’s Pub. Sunday is a great day for music in Doolin, and you can enjoy more than eight hours of live Irish music at O’Connor’s Pub. Two popular evening sessions showcase the best of local musicians, and an earlier session, beginning at 4.30pm in the summer, is a family friendly opportunity for young musicians to play. You can also pop into O’Connor’s Pub on Mondays and Tuesdays to hear Christy Barry, a local musician who plays several instruments and welcomes new musicians and guests to share their talents alongside him.
- The Wild Atlantic Session at Fitzpatrick’s Bar. Excellent musicians attract locals and visitors to Fitzpatrick’s Bar on Mondays all year round, to a session hosted by members of the popular band, Fiddle Case. This open session never fails to impress, with a great combination of old and new music, including performances by several new guests each week.
- Tara Howley & Friends at Fitzpatrick’s Bar. Wednesdays regularly see Tara Howley & friends performing at Fitzpatrick’s Bar, featuring Tara on the uilleann pipes, fiddle and concertina, as well as being a world class dancer and singer. Tara has toured with Riverdance and her talent shines through as she joins with musicians such as Peadar Reilly on the flute and Brian Donnellan on the bouzouki.
- Matchmaking at The Imperial. The Imperial Hotel, Lisdoonvarna, is home to the Matchmaker bar and its versatile programme of musicians. Don’t miss the country music weekends at the beginning of September or the chance to take part in music, dancing and the craic throughout September as part of the Matchmaker Festival, a world famous Lisdoonvarna tradition.
- Play your own. Impromptu music sessions are the best way to really experience this mainstay of Irish culture, and these abound in the Lisdoonvarna and Doolin areas. Perhaps more common in the Winter months, local and visiting musicians frequently hold spontaneous music sessions in pubs, and joining one of these can be a unique – and very Irish – experience.
Discover Irish Music Sessions In County Clare
Book your stay at The Imperial Hotel, Lisdoonvarna, The Hydro Hotel, Lisdoonvarna or The King Thomond Lisdoonvarna today and start planning your trip to Ireland today.