When you book a holiday, you want to make sure you find a good balance between relaxation and exploring a new area. Ireland is a magical country to discover, since it offers such a wide range of beautiful scenery and historical sites, and finding a hotel that can offer you traditional Irish hospitality from a great central location will make your whole visit much more enjoyable.
Our three hotels in Lisdoonvarna offer you a combination of luxurious accommodation, top quality cuisine and personal service. Our staff will be delighted to help you to make the most of your trip, and we are centrally located in Lisdoonvarna so that you have easy access to the surrounding heritage towns and the stunning Burren National Park. You can visit Ireland’s most famous natural wonder, the Cliffs of Moher, just 10-15 minutes from Lisdoonvarna, and the Spa Wells in the town can be explored on foot from your hotel
The Top 5 Things To Do In Lisdoonvarna
If you’ve ever visited Lisdoonvarna, you’ll know it’s a very special place, and if you haven’t been yet, make sure it’s high on your to do list! There are many beautiful and historical sights to see in the area, and you could spend plenty of time exploring the Burren National Park and heritage towns nearby. It’s the perfect holiday destination, and our top tips can help you to plan your itinerary for your holiday or short break in County Clare.
Lisdoonvarna Top Five
- Matchmaker Festival. Lisdoonvarna was traditionally home to matchmakers, who made it their profession to find a spouse for others for a fee. In times gone by, once haymaking had finished, September would see an influx of visitors to the pretty town, ready to partake in music, dancing and the craic. The tradition continues today, with thousands of visitors coming to share in the Matchmaker Festival celebrations on weekends in September, and modern events such as speed dating add to the fun! Last year’s event saw the introduction of the first LGBT Matchmaking Festival, which was a great success. If you want to experience Lisdoonvarna at this special time, you’ll find luxurious accommodation right on the main street at The Imperial Hotel, Lisdoonvarna, where the Matchmaker Bar offers entertainment most nights.
- Spa Well. Lisdoonvarna is an ancient spa town, and you can find Spa Well at the Southern end of the town. Don’t miss a visit to this sulphur spring, complete with Victorian pumphouse in a wooded setting. From the town centre, you can take the trail from the Roadside Tavern and follow the path down to the river, where you will find two wells at which you can taste the spring water.
- Burren Smokehouse. You can find out more about the traditional Irish method of oak-smoking salmon when you visit the local smokehouse, and don’t forget to visit the shop to sample and buy salmon and other smoked fish, cheeses and delicatessen products that will give you a real taste of Ireland’s culinary magic. The Hydro Hotel, Lisdoonvarna, is located in the heart of the Burren and is an ideal location to explore the local area, particularly Lisdoonvarna and nearby towns.
- Father Ted Festival. If you’re visiting Lisdoonvarna in May, you can join in with the fabulous Father Ted Festival, which includes costume parties, contests and tours of the area featured in the popular TV series. If you’re a fan of Father Ted, you can visit Glanquin Farmhouse at any time of the year to see the house where the series was filmed, and you can even book a delicious afternoon tea by appointment.
- Cliffs of Moher. Of course, you couldn’t miss the most famous natural wonder in Ireland, and these stunning views are well worth the 10-15 minute trip from Lisdoonvarna. You can stay in the town in style at The King Thomond Lisdoonvarna, and you’ll be centrally located to enjoy all of the local highlights.
Visit Lisdoonvarna To See Ireland At Its Best
Lisdoonvarna is Ireland’s favourite spa town and it’s a great location to stay while you discover the rich treasures of County Clare. We would always recommend a visit to coincide with the Matchmaker Festival, but this part of the world is truly special at any time of the year.